It was a fine sunny Saturday when I found myself in the fabric store. It was also a lucky day; I found fabric I wasnt even looking for.
The were rolls of these thick cotton-spandex blend; great for making office wear. For my day-to-day office wear, I like simple, no fuss dresses. Which why I love shift dresses [and keep on making them]. To add a bit of twist to the shift, I added triangles to the torso
I didn’t get the triangles to meet in the middle as the joints would have gotten too thick. Instead, I ran a cross stitch two centimetres from the triangles and it formed a perfect X.
Eager to utilise my new Singer sewing machine but not willing to do much work, I decided to make another shift dress out of the mint green fabric I had bought from Atlas a few weeks back. Since it doesn’t take long for a shift dress to take form, I decided to add scallops to the finishing… and believe me, they are pretty to look at but a pain to make. Well, I exaggerate. It didn’t take much time, I was just lazy… The end result was a very comfy dress which can go from a lunch date to the office 🙂
I recently indulged in a bit of fabric shopping. There are very few places in Suva where one can get quality and unique fabrics and you can count them on one hand.
One of my favourite is Atlas in Marks Street. They have a wide range and the cheapest deals on the rolls which are almost gone.
I purchased two prints and a plain black fabrics The prints were at $2.50 per metre.
After getting hyped up from stitching the Batik, I decided to stitch up a shift dress in the silky fabric. I followed the same cut, except kept the dress a bit loose to avoid using zipper (I am too lazy to insert zippers).
Since I will be starting work soonish, I think this would be perfect for the office.
So this is my $2.50 dress made from just 1m fabric.
There you go! Two dresses done in one day.
PS. I don’t have a lot of time, I just find it really hard to stop stitching once I start 🙂
When I first saw the fabric, I though I would frame it as a remnant of my travels… and then I figured photographs do that already and I might as well stitch this up. So after thinking of multiple designs and going through several Pinterest posts, I settled on a simple shift dress. The front is of Batik fabric and the back is a blend of jersey and silk which makes the dress stretchable enough to put on and off without placing a zipper.
I had to tack in the neckline using a black facing.
The dress turned out well. I am in love with the print and colours.
Thought to accessorise with a yellow handbag which I also picked up in Kuala Lumpur.
This dress used up less than a metre of the fabric, I had previously used up some for the finishing of a kurti.