It has been a long time since I last stitched, or wrote here for that matter. So one fine day when I got the urge to design and stitch, I was not gonna suppress it. Never mind it was at 11am on a Wednesday morning while I was at work. I took a half day leave and went home to bask in the glory of my creativity 😀
Lucky for me, there is always fabric in stock at home; thanks to my favourite supplier of plain and stretchy fabrics – Atlas, Valelevu. Since it had been some time since my last stitch and my machine has started to give me trouble, I choose a $2 metre fabric which I wont feel bad ruining.
I thought of a fairly simple design and give it a look of sophistication by adding an overlap piece to the front slit. It didn’t take too long to stitch but boy am I impressed with the results. Paired with a statement belt and cute sandals, I took this dress from the morning to the night! All in all, it was well worth using the half day from my vacation leave.
So we have just entered my birthday month and I have been reminiscing the grand time I had last year. My dearest threw me a birthday party and invited the 30 most nearest and dearest to me.
A number of gifts I received were beautiful fabric in Pacific Islands, Indonesian, and African prints. Most of these I had stitched right away, but never got around to posting about them.
Of the Pacific Island prints, I made straight dresses dressed up in belts or bows. The African/Ankara print was made into a fit and flare dress with off-shoulders.
The black batik print is what I haven’t dared to stitch yet. Hopefully I get the time to work on it before the next time I turn 30!
A couple of years back I bought a little succulent plant from the ROC market in Suva. I am not much of a gardener nor am I a lover of all plants. My love is limited to palms, ferns, succulents, and cacti. And it seems my skills in keeping plants alive is even more limited. However for some reason, succulents thrive in my little urban garden. So much so that I have to keep on giving them away every few months so that I have at least one cups worth of space on my coffee table.
To keep the plants in check, I trim them every now and then. The trims and leaves form new plants. And new plants require new planters. So I took to reusing old cups, and chipped dishes as planters, and soon I ran out of them. I also used peanut cans as planters, but that wasn’t enough. So then I had the bright idea of using food cans [especially tuna cans].
I collected the cans over a few months to have enough to transplant a bunch of succulents. Its important to peel off the label before cutting the can open otherwise the paper gets stuck in the upper bit of the can. Once the cans were clean and dry, I sprayed them with my golden spray paint. Let them dry and wallah!…I had myself some pretty looking planters for my tiny succulents.
Succulents make great party favours. I have previously used store bought plastic planters, and gave them a rustic look with brown paper and strings. But these golden onces really up the game.
It was a beautiful Saturday morning when I found myself [yet again] in Atlas somehow. To tell you the truth, it isn’t at all coincidental that we park in MHCC for our Saturday trips to the Suva market; it makes for an easy detour to Atlas 🙂
What caught my eye on this particular Saturday were these rolls of jersey fabric going for $4 a metre. Now, if you have read about my previous projects you would know that I LOVE stretchy fabric. It has the advantage of a fitted piece without worrying too much about zippers. Anyways, I bought a grey and maroon piece to be transformed into overlap dresses.
The end results were slightly different from what I had set out to do. Firstly, I wasn’t sure the hanging overlap would look as good as it does in the sketch and secondly, I decided I wanted to wear the maroon piece to work, so I added shoulders.
It has been a while since my last project. Keeping a work-life balance is difficult sometimes. And sometimes, I am lazy.
Eventhough lazy, create I must. So I have been working on simple shift dresses. Over the last few months of 2016, I had been hoarding fabric. I had bought multiple prints in only one meter pieces. Initally I had though I would make blouses out of these (I am becoming a pant person) but assessing the amount of fabric that would be leftover and potentially unuseable, I decided against it. Went with shift dresses instead.
These dresses are simple to cut and stitch. I have previously made a few without sleeves, but the fabric width allowed sleeves so I went for it. Of the seven prints, 3 were of similar fabric, soft and flowy; and these are the ones which I transformed into summer shifts.
While planning for our trip to Europe in August, I desperately searched for a long coat. One that wasn’t too thick but would still provide some cover on a chilly evening. Needless to say, I didn’t find anything to my liking anywhere in Suva.
Since I had already set my mind on a long coat, I couldn’t shake off the idea. So, I created one 🙂
Its a simple make, but took me a good 3 hours to cut and stitch as I had never made a coat before. I have since then taken every opportunity to sport the SJmade piece around the world!
Some years back while in Bali, I got greedy and bought more Batik fabric than I needed. The prints were so intricate and the fabric itself was so soft, I couldn’t help myself. After making a few pieces to wear, I thought to make a wall hanging of one of the prints. These were after all meant to be souvenirs.
I had pallet wood leftover from another project so all I had to do was measure, cut and staple.
Once the frame was set, all I did was to drape the fabric around and use the staple gun to pin it in place. And then, I had a lovely wall hanging which would remind me of time spend sipping coffee in Ubud.